Saturday, February 12, 2011

you can't reread a phone call

school has been owning me.

i've been nothing but exhausted the past few weeks, and today i hit rock bottom. my stomach has been constantly nauseous and my head unbearbly dizzy due to a lack of sleep, and i've been going to bed disgustingly early. i started this lovely saturday with aching knees and feet, and today after having client after client it began to wear on me..

 i finally got my lunch break... two hours late... and i rushed home to grab my wallet. i was running around like a jack rabbit on drugs because i had to  head to cafe rio, (i'm low on groceries, alright?) grab my lunch, and inhale it before my next client showed up in about ehh.. 20ish minutes. i ran inside the apartment, on a mission to find my wallet in less then 2.5 seconds and this little treasure caught my eye...



you bet your bottom dollar i picked that sucker up in seconds and off i was. on my scenic walk to cafe rio i ripped that sucker up and found the cutest card from my father :) i loved his return address. the "great white north" is an understatement for north dakota's daily highs of negative twelve. sounds toasty, doesn't it?  

i'm going to admit it right now. when i read my dad's card tears immediately began to flow down my rosy cheeks. and before you all begin to let worry cloud your minds and let the lingering questions of "oh my goodness, what's wrong with keng? she's gone so soft. oh my gosh. whaaa." THEY WERE TEARS OF JOY LADIES AND GENTS! tears of joy. i can honestly say it was the cutest letter i've ever gotten. usually my mom will write her own tidbits on the cards she gets us because the out dated ink already pressed into the card stock isn't quite enough. but this wasn't no mama's card, this was from the greatest man alive... 

i started to read the card, and the original ink began to say this.. "things to love about a daughter like you:" 
my mind instantly began to wonder to all the small details my dad had pressed into the paper with his own ink pen. of course the first thing i saw was.. "free haircuts". that made me chuckle. and then i kept reading.."good dancer. great daughter. not boring. great sister. good writer (blog). can do anything attitude. funny laugh. shout for joy. unstoppable. great photographer." and the last one, which is my favorite... "fist pump."
already choking up, i opened the card and with a check mark by it the card then said.. "everything. happy valentines day."

out fell a walmart gift card, i finished reading my dads heartfelt card and followed his instructions of "buy something fun".


thanks for always believing in me dad. pointing out the best in me when i forgot.
and reminding me that there's no limit to what i'm capable of.
every time i look at my dream catcher i think of the story you told me right after 
you surprised me with that piece of work.
you know the one.
  i miss you very much, and i cannot wait for our dinner date.
love, your daddy's girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment